Mexican Chili con Carne
You Will Need:
- Epazote, 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Culantro, 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Oregano, 1 Tbsp, finely chopped
- Steak, 2 lbs, cubed
- Oil, 2 tablespoon
- Onions, 1 small, sliced
- Garlic, 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Tomatoes, 1 lb, canned or fresh, diced
- Water, 1 cup
- Salt, 1 tsp
- Chili Powder, 2 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper, ½ tsp
- Cumin, ½ tsp
- Kidney Beans, 2 each, 15 oz cans, drained
Recipe Serves: 6
1. In a large pot brown meat in pre-heated oil. Add the rest of the ingredients except the beans and bring to a boil. On high heat, cover, and cook for 10 minutes stirring every 5 minutes to prevent sticking.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally, adding more liquid as needed. Skim off any fat, then add the beans and simmer for 30 more minutes.
3. Serve with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
Recipe and Pictures by Chef Elizabeth Camilo,
Revisions and Nutrient Analysis by Chef Katie Reineberg