Nuts & Herb Bread
You Will Need:
- Yeast, 1.5 Tbsp, dry active
- Sugar, pinch
- Water, 1 cup, warm
- Milk, 1 cup, warm
- Brown Sugar, 2 Tbsp.
- Salt, 1 Tbsp.
- Parsley, 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Basil, 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Tarragon, 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Garlic, 1 clove, minced
- All-Purpose Flour, 4-1/2 cups
- Walnuts, 3/4 cup, coarse chopped
- Almonds, 1/2 cup, slivered
Recipe Serves: 9 inch loaf
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water and let stand till foamy (10 min).
2. Meanwhile, combine milk, brown sugar, herbs, salt, garlic and 1.5 cups of flour in an electric mixing bowl.
3. Add in the yeast mixture along with the final amount of flour until smooth yet sticky.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area until doubled in size (45-60 min.)
5. Sprinkle nuts over the top of the batter and stir to distribute evenly.
6. Pour batter into a well-greased soufflé dish and again, let rise in a warm place, until even with top of pan.
7. Bake at 375 for about 60 min or until a cake tester comes out dry.
8. Remove from oven and pan and let cool on a rack.
Recipe developed by Chef Danny Klein.