Purple Kale and Pansy Salad
You Will Need:
- 1 bunch kale, I used purple kale
- fresh basil leaves, both green and purple varieties
- fresh sprigs of thyme
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh parsley
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2-3 Tbsp sunflower or pepita seeds
- edible flowers like snapdragons or pansies for garnish
- tangerine poppy seed vinaigrette
- juice of 1 big tangerine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- salt to taste
Wash your kale really well, and then trim the tough stems off. Remove the spines of each leaf, too. Chop or shred the kale and add it to a large wide salad bowl.
Toss the herbs, onions, and seeds in, I like to keep to about a 4 to 1 ratio of greens to herbs. Go heavy on the basil.
Toss the salad with the dressing, and then scatter the flowers on top for garnish.
To make the dressing, put the ingredients in a jar, screw on the cap, and give a good shake. Taste it before using to adjust any of the ingredients.
See recipe in theviewfromgreatisland.com